Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Appointment at the top (180 word freaky flash fiction) by Oren Shafir)

Is this the longest escalator in the universe, or is it just because it is so late? So dark. Because the ceiling is so high? The place so still and empty?  I fight the urge to run back down, but I know they’d only find me – and my family.

I look at the ads rolling by on the side. I see coke, and I think car acid. I see green-pea soup, and I taste vomit. I see a baby in a shiny white diaper, and I picture shit oozing out of the elastic seams and running down its chubby thighs. For a second, I think I can smell it. My stomach burns, and I feel dizzy.

Finally the top comes into view. Maybe, I think, they do just want to talk. I feel lighter. Yes, of course. How absurd am I. We can still work this out. I can make them see. 
The tips of shiny hard shoes appear. Followed by uniform-blue pant-legs. A thick black belt with pouches, lots of pouches. Then, I see the holster.
It is empty.
 
END

 Share this post using one of the buttons below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...