Saturday, October 12, 2013

Love letter (a 500-word flash fiction suspense story) by Oren Shafir

Celia my love,

´Photo by Zahra Pedersen 
If you’re reading this now, then I am dead. Since you were blocking my calls and emails, I had to figure out a way to get through. You see whenever I put my mind to something, I can make it happen.

I built an Aston Martin DB4 engine using my computer and my father’s 3D printer. I solved the world’s hardest Rubik’s Cube, which has 975 individual parts, not including the one thousand twelve hundred and twelve stickers that had to be attached by hand.  And I seduced my Dad’s girlfriend. But then I had to let her go because I wanted you. 

When you smiled at me in the library, I was surprised. Remember when the librarian told us to be quiet, and I told her that we were from Albania, and that was how people talked there, and you laughed and said I was crazy?  I could tell that you understood my sense of humor, which many people do not get.

You were impressed when you found out who my dad was. But anyone can have a rich dad. Not everyone can commit to memory every security procedure and code to every store in town that their rich dad owns. At the bakery, I discovered that you loved key lime pie. At the salon, I found out you liked Bobbi Brown black amethyst eyeliner. At the pharmacy, we popped some Aderall, and after that you kissed me.

I have to admit that I was confused at first when you would not see me. However, then I realized that everything good that happened, happened before they got to you. At first, I thought it was because you were new here, and you didn't realize how people in this town just decide that a person is one way, and it sticks with them forever. I thought they had brainwashed you.  But when you were sunbathing in your bikini the other day, I had an epiphany. I realized that the way the sun was reflecting off your sunglasses was unnatural. It could only mean one thing. You were communicating with me. It was the only way you could with everyone watching us all the time.

I had to do something grand in response. Remember that rainbow you saw the other day – the one you called your sister to come to to the garden to see? I made that happen. Because I know you love rainbows. But you had no way of knowing it was from me. So, I had to do something bigger, something that would bring us together again. This time forever.

Still I realized that, unlike me, the concept of forever might scare you.  After all, not many people have my grasp of the bigger plan of the universe. But you don’t have to worry because I figured everything out for us. The reason you have been feeling really sick all week is that you have eaten from the key lime pie your dad brought home from the bakery for you.  Go have another piece now Celia, and it will all be over soon.

And then we will be together forever, my darling.

Yours,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...