Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Finger (a 250-word suspense flash fiction story) by Oren Shafir

Flash fiction horror - The Finger
How to get your parents' attention
I gave my parents the finger when I was just 8-years-old, but I didn't get the reaction I had been hoping for. I never have -  not until now that is. 

They've always just responded with stoic resolve and at best a subtle sign of disappointment that only I can see. Granted I make a lot of my shit up, but often it's real. Either way, Dad just goes straight into solution mode.

When I told them I put a big dent in the car, he said: "Marion, you start looking for the insurance papers,and I'll go look at the car." When I said I got Janey from down the block pregnant, he said, "Marion, see if you can talk to the girl alone first, I'll start looking into our options." When I said I was addicted to sleeping pills, he said, "Marion, you check his room for hidden stashes, I'll look into rehab."

But this time... this time was different. When I came in and told them, "I found a finger in my Miki Miki noodle soup," it was so beautiful. I couldn't believe it.

Dad sprang off the sofa like a salmon going upstream, and then stood there wide-eyed and frozen. Mom's jaw literally dropped, her mouth hung open and her face turned chalk white. It was comical and chaotic and emotional - everything I always wanted.

And when Dad did launch into solution mode, it was with an urgency bordering on panic. "Marion, you dial 911 and get me some towels, I'll bandage him and look for his finger in the soup."

I don't know what happened after that because I fainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...