Saturday, May 24, 2014

Ugly (a 200-word horror flash fiction short story) by Oren Shafir

In this version of my hometown, there are no homes, no street names, nothing recognizable. Just rows and rows of concrete blocks on black asphalt roads, and I can't find the place where I'm supposed to be.

Yet, somehow I have arrived. I'm sitting at an empty desk; behind me, I can sense a full room, but I can only see glimpses of people's faces out the periphery of my eyes. I don't dare turn around completely.

I'm especially afraid to lift my head and face the figure in front of me. As I slowly raise my head, though, I see that his body is covered in a heavy black robe, and when my eyes reach his face, I gasp.

The mouth is smiling, but empty black-eye slits, onion skin and a broken, distorted shape make the face's expression sarcastic. Cruel.  Horrible, I can't breath. But eventually, I realize it's just a mask, and I exhale.

"Please," I beg.

He reaches up as if in slow motion to remove the mask and pronounce judgement.

"Guilty."

I collapse covering my face with my hands. I am broken but at the same time relieved that it's over. I accept the verdict..

The face in front of me after all is my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...