Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Perfect Circle (a 250-word suspense flash fiction short story) by Oren Shafir

This old gorilla named Samson ruled the band for like I don’t know how many years. Then this horny little fucker called Tonto kicks the shit out of him till he nearly dies. Then the TV loses the signal again, goddamn it.
flash_fiction_aging_gorilla

I get up and look around. Whitey is sitting at a table doin something, and I sit next to him. He’s reading some magazine.

“Where did you get that pen?” I ask him. “We’re not allowed to have pens in here.”

“You afraid I’m gonna hurt ya?” he asks.

My chair scrapes against the chair floor as I rise.

“Easy son,” he says.

Whitey tells me I need more balance in my life. He takes a new piece of paper, looks at the magazine and starts drawin a bunch of lines with numbers. Then he tells me to circle the numbers according to how strong I think I am spiritually, mentally, physically, will power, in my love life and a bunch of other shit.

“Do it without thinking and be completely honest,” he says.

When I’m done, I look over at Whitey’s paper. His circle is perfect. My circle isn’t a circle at all.

“You want your pen back,” I ask.

“Yeah,” he says without looking up.

Then he looks up.

When sees my face and how I’m holding the pen in my hand, Whitey tries to make a move. But he’s way too slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...